Friday, February 20, 2009

Daffatan, Indeed !


I was browsing through the rediff website yesterday and saw that there was a review of the movie Delhi-6. Did not really read it, but got the gist of it. I think the title conveyed the message that it is a good follow up to Rang De Basanti. That excited me having been unaware of the theme/concept of the movie, and having seen RDB and liking it, very much ! So very unlike me off late, I immediately started looking for the theatres in which it is playing so I could buy the tickets online and surprise Sandhya and Madhavan. The first couple of websites did not have any NJ theatres (at least none close to our place). The inner voice in me said... "no way. Delhi-6 isnt playing in any theatre near my house ? impossible". So I looked for more and eventually found it. ha ha. 3 tickets for the 7pm show today. Done. I set an alarm in the cell for myself at 5:oopm today to make sure that I did not forget about the movie plan since no one else knew about it.

Fast forward. 4:45pm today. I had to call a customer to resolve some issues, hoping I could wrap it up soon. hmm... 6:00pm, its finally over. It takes about 45min to get home (subway) and another 15-20 min to get to the theatre from there (car). Friday evening traffic. So we finally get to the theatre at 7:25p. By now, Madhavan already knows about the movie (coz I already told him last night). Sandhya is still unaware as I told her that we will just go out. When we were almost at the theatre I told her that we were going to watch 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'. Once in the theatres, she was hungry so got herself something to eat... and busy with carrying that stuff she did not see the movie name before entering the theatre. lol. We are in there and and since the movie has already started, she knows its not 'Benjamin Button'. Eventually she realizes its D6 and is pleasantly surprised (coz she did not know it was releasing today).

Slight fast forward. Intermission. wtf ? Nothing interesting or exciting or inspiring or amazing has happened yet. Then, in less than 15 min, I got my money's worth and more. Dil... gira kahin par... Daffatan. Beautiful song and I was blown away by the picturization. I dont want to hype it for those who havent watched it yet, or give away the brilliance. I will say that it was different. Not everyone may like it, but I was impressed. Since then it was above average. Sonam was pretty, and Abhishek did well. Most actors did a good job, even the ones with very small roles. Eventually Rakeysh did have a message, and it was not preachy. The movie certainly cannot be compared to RDB. That was a masterpiece with a great message, and very inspiring. Anyway, I walked out of the theatre a happy customer and wanting to see 'Dil gira' once more. Ah... well. Thats always a good feeling to walk out of a theatre with.

Dil... gira kahin par....

No comments:

Post a Comment